Veggie-Eggy Rolls: A Healthy and Tasty Kid Friendly Lunch1 Comment
Jennifer is a stay-at- home-mom with two hungry toddlers. She shares their simple, healthy, and delicious meals on Instagram @whatmykideats. Jennifer strives to feed her family home cooked, nutritious foods and loves to connect with and find inspiration in other parents doing the same. In her spare time, Jennifer loves to play board games with her husband, Matt.
It can be hard getting your kids to eat their recommended daily intake of vegetables. I’m always looking for ways to pack veggies into foods that my kids will eat and finding new and creative ways to offer vegetables to my little ones.
That’s how these Veggie-Eggy Rolls were born. Tasty, healthy, and portable, these Eggy Rolls are sure to please. They fit perfectly into the Bentgo Kids Lunch Box and contain about 3 servings of vegetables in one roll!
Egg roll wrappers are a great way to contain veggies and make them kid friendly. For the filling, I used a bag of frozen riced cauliflower and broccoli. You can easily make riced veggies at home by pulsing them in a food processor but I’ve fallen in love with the ease of having bags of riced vegetables in my freezer. The bags save on time and kitchen mess!
Once your filling is mixed, it’s time to get wrapping. Set up your egg rolling station on a clean, dry surface with your bowl of filling and a small cup of water nearby.
Here’s a guide for wrapping these Veggie-Eggy Rolls. Each wrap comfortably holds about ¼ cup of filling without risk of being over or under stuffed. Use a fork to gently shape the filling diagonally onto the wrapper and fold. To seal the roll, dip your fingers into the water and moisten anywhere where the wrapper folds over.
Once your rolls are wrapped and ready to bake, place them on a sheet pan and lightly spray with cooking spray to ensure a crispy wrapper.
These Eggy-Rolls are so versatile and, once you are comfortable with them, the possibilities are endless for a variety of fillings.
Makes 10 rolls
1 bag frozen riced cauliflower and broccoli (12 oz)
¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 eggs, lightly scrambled
½ cup finely chopped spinach
½ cup grated or shredded carrot
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1. Preheat oven to 400. Steam bag of riced cauliflower and broccoli according to bag instructions. Allow to cool.
2. In a large bowl, add cheese, eggs, spinach, carrot, salt, garlic powder, and riced cauliflower and broccoli. Mix until egg and cheese are well incorporated.
3. Assemble egg rolls. Scoop ¼ cup of filling mixture into the center of a egg roll wrapper.
Use a fork to gently pat the filling down in a diagonal shape. Wrap egg rolls, using water to seal the edges. (Refer to pictures above for filling and wrapping examples.)
4. Place egg rolls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Spray rolls lightly with cooking spray.
5. Bake for 10 minutes. Flip and bake another 10-15 minutes until the egg rolls are crispy and slightly browned. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Need More Lunch Recipes?